Monday, June 26, 2006

Much ado about birthdays

This post was written at around 11:30 p.m. last night. It is dedicated to all the 30+ year olds out there.

In a few minutes I am about to start the 37th year of my existence. What do you exactly gain a year after you last blew out your birthday candles (if you still do that)?

Experience. You thought you’ve experienced everything. Well, think again, my friend, life gives you something new or some new things. In my case, I experienced a lot of new things the past year.

Resiliency. Yes, you have to cope. Or at least, try to cope. And the past year must have been the year I coped the most. And I’m proud of myself because of that.

Sense of humor. When the going gets tough, find what’s funny about it. It may be hard to do but you know what, for some reason I find myself being most witty when I’m crying. Weird, I know.

Crow’s feet. Mind you, crow’s feet create character on one’s face. It maybe caused by the crying you’ve done or the smiling and laughing you’ve done or the fact that you don’t put moisturizer on your face at night (even if your mom told you to, for so many times) or it may even be caused by a combination of two or all of these things. Whatever the cause may be, I don’t mind having them.

When people I’ve met for the first time ask me how old I am and I tell them my age, most of them are surprised. I don’t look my age, they say. I am flattered by this compliment. Wow! I don’t look my age. Then, I wonder. Why don’t I look my age? Is it because most of the time I hang out with children? Is it because I try (take note, try) to always think positive about life? Is it in my genes? I really don’t know. I also don’t know how long they would say that I don’t look my age. Who knows, one day my face will follow suit with my age. Well, when that day comes, I might as well buy that moisturizer my mom has been recommending.

1 comment:

minnie said...

a free man in the river...

Thanks for your comment. You know you're a great influence in my not-minding-having-crow's-feet attitude. Thank you for that.

I think there's no better way to grow old but to grow old gracefully. I hope I am doing just that ü