I've been wanting to write this post but have been too busy to actually write it. It took two incidents yesterday to inspire (?) me to finally compose this. The first incident involved the gasps of 40 8-year olds who were amazed (more of surprised) upon learning that I am 37 years old and not married. The second incident was my friend telling me the comments of this could-have-been-38-year-old blind date when he found out how old I am (and how many relationships I have had).
This is me, 37, unattached and obviously, single. It's a bit unfair that our society treats single 30 plus year old females differently from their male counterpart. If a 37 year old guy is single, it's alright. He's probably concentrating with his career. Trying to have enough savings before pursuing Ms. Right. Or if Ms. Right is already with him, his reason can still be that he's saving for their wedding. But it's not the same if you're a 37 year old single woman. Say it's your career? Unacceptable. Why? Because you have this biological clock that's working against you. It's bad enough that you have to carry a heavy weight for 9 months, that you feel tired just to brush your hair in the morning and most of all (I know I haven't experienced this but stories left and right are enough to make me fear it) to have an opening in your body big enough for your baby to come out. Why is it that men don't have these experiences? And the 'biological clock' thing, why can't men be badgered about that? Can somebody come up with a study to say that men who have their first child at age 35 or plus have a greater chance to produce children who won't take care of their dads when their dads get old? That would worry all those guys my age who are still single.
Wait. This is about the Single Women (the Stronger Sex). My wish is that for one minute, no woman who is single anywhere in the world would be questioned about her being single. Just one minute. You just don't know what wonders that would do for us singles. We are unique human beings. We have great ideas that did not come up through collaboration with a significant someone. We have accomplished things that were inspired by people other than a special human (I had to say human because most of mine were inspired by Him). We have other things to do other than answer questions like, why we are single and when will we decide to get married. I would like to say that the last question about when do I decide came from the 8 year olds and I think I handled myself pretty well when I said that "it's not up to me, it's up to Him."
So, women who are like me, don't worry. The clock may be ticking but when the time is right, all the ticking will be worth it.
And to the could-have-been-38-year-old blind date: why are YOU still single?
Thursday, September 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Love to all....
Post a Comment