Tuesday, February 20, 2007

On love being blind

Seen on the front page of a newspaper last February 14: Love is blind for 70% of Filipinos. I didn't read the article but I could imagine it talks about how we (or at least 70% of us) are suckers for love. So, are we? And if we are, what’s wrong with that?

I am no expert in love. I’ve had a few boyfriends and I can honestly say I did love each one of them. Yes, I’ve gone through that phase wherein I see beyond my boyfriend’s quirks and inadequacies. And, in one way or another, all of them had their share. I also accept the fact (and dear Lord, I hope this is a fact) that they also went through this phase with me. Obviously, I also have quirks and inadequacies.

My dear friend told me about this stand-up routine he heard. The comedian was talking about couples who claim that they’re so alike with each other. “What’s with that?!,” he said. At first I had to do a self-check. I might be guilty of such an outlook (in any of my past relationships). Maybe in a way I was, in my first 2 or 3 relationships. With the last one, not really. I say not really because we became friends first so it's understood that we are alike in a lot of ways. Or more alike compared to couples who didn't start of as friends. After doing a self-check, I realized how often this is indeed true for a lot of couples. And I don’t blame them. Who wouldn't want to end up with someone so much like them? Well, I guess this is so true for people who are told they are great persons. But there would come a point wherein you would want to be with someone who’s different from you in some ways. There’s nothing more stimulating than a healthy discussion of opposite opinions. My dear friend would call it “verbal love-making”. Being different from your beloved can be very interesting.

So, love being blind used wisely can actually be good. What I actually believe is when love becomes blind I try to make sure my heart and soul are doing all the seeing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked the last line a lot! Very witty and wise of you to see it this way. :-)