One of the things I miss about being a homeroom adviser is having 40+ kids to know, to talk to, to play with, to understand, to scold (if needed) and to learn from. On every last day of the school year of each and every homeroom class I have had I remember being very emotional and teary eyed. As the last of my students step out the room, the sadness I feel is so great that it almost feels like I’m already a mother losing her child. Ironically, it’s one of the feelings that I wouldn’t exchange for anything in the world.
I find myself, a lot of times, questioning the ‘hellos’ in my life. Meeting a new friend, being close to my family, having a commitment with a special someone and of course, having all 6 of my homeroom classes. I question why I need to meet them, to grow close to them, learn to love them and enjoy being with them and then one day loose them. Loose them because they have a new girlfriend, or they have to move to the next grade level or they have to go to another place, earth and beyond earth. It’s really difficult to loose someone. And I always ask Him why these things happen. Answers don’t come in quick, enlightening moments. I hear stories, I read the gospel, or a dear friend tells me something that gives me hope.
Helena, one of my former counselees, went to my office this morning and was telling me that she was going to miss me. I am going to miss her, too. You see, today is the last day of school. I told her I’ll see her on April 11 when she and her mom gets her report card. She and I are looking forward to that.
This morning, my dear friend left (again) for Cagayan de Oro. He is not in the habit of saying goodbye. He always say, “I’ll see you soon”. I like hearing that and I like the feeling that comes when I hear that.
Maybe all my hellos seem to end with goodbyes but in the end, when we’re in that special place He has set for us, I know saying hello wouldn’t be trouble at all.
Monday, March 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'll see you soon. :-)
Post a Comment