I have been wanting to write on this topic ever since my dear friend posted a question to me (which we would do to each other ü)...it had something to do on choosing which contest I would join: (1)there are only 2 tickets and the prize money is P100,000 or (2)there are 10 tickets and the prize money is P1,000,000...I can only buy 1 ticket and I can only join 1 contest. For me, it was simple, I chose the 1st contest. And there he was telling me about risk aversion (he read about it in an article on Freakonomics which I've read also). Of course, we had a long conversation about it which I actually enjoy...specially when he's passionate because I get passionate when he's passionate...in conversations, okay ü
So, what's wrong with playing safe? I wouldn't think of myself as an adventurer although I wish I am. I don't eat lengua, chicken feet and tripe. However, I hated sushi before but now I like it so much. I, also, never thought that I would enjoy eating isaw. I haven't tried bungee jumping and I don't plan to...but who knows? But I've experienced taking rides in amusement parks not really being sure if these rides are scary. After taking these rides, I was okay...a bit shaken but okay. I don't consider myself lucky in raffles or contests although I've won in some...unexpectedly.
In my life, I think I've made choices and decisions that are particularly safe...well, except for 2 decisions I've made...the one I made on September 30, 1999 and the one I made on November 27, 2005...I wouldn't call these decisions safe but I wouldn't call these as risks. I don't know what to call these decisions...let's just save this story for another time.
Let's face it, safe choices and decisions can put you to sleep at night...no worries. However, there are times that you have to go out of your comfort zone and try something new. Seize the day...or at least the moment. Timing is important, though. But sometimes we're not really sure when the right time really is.
I had my hair cut short last Easter Sunday...that was a risk, I tell you. I was holding on to my long, straight hair up to the last minute...as if testing myself if I'll change my mind...but I didn't. About 5 inches length of my hair chopped off...no regrets!
Early this week, we (in my department) had a meeting. Our supervisor called for the meeting because, apparently, people in the department are 'bad mouthing' other people within the department including the supervisor. I could have taken a back seat and kept quiet. Whatever I have against anyone in the group I can always keep to myself or share it with my dear friend. I guess it was grace from God that I suggested that we open up to each other about any grudges that we have. I have always believed that the cause of any misunderstanding is precisely that...misunderstanding. If you become indifferent about it there will never be a chance to clear things out. So, I took the risk, I shared. My feelings. Disappointments. Frustrations. I did, however, shared my hope for the group which I still have now. I felt good about the meeting. However, a day after that there are still talks about how this person works and that person works...so, I guess this is not the end of this story.
My dear friend is off somewhere this morning. This somewhere is not his comfort zone. You see, he's going to change jobs. His work before was a safe place to work...his comfort zone. Right now, I am proud that he's not playing safe in going in this company. The task ahead for him in this job is new not only to him but also for the company. It was after much discernment when he finally chose this new job. He is scared and I am scared also.
So, sometimes, even if the timing is right, risks don't guarantee a smooth sail afterwards. But like I was telling him...THIS IS THE STORM BEFORE THE CALM...let's hope for clear skies soon ü.
Thursday, April 20, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I like your reflection here. It's a potential ala Fulghum. Galing! :-)
Post a Comment