Wednesday, May 03, 2006

To blog or not to blog

The first ever blog I read was my nephew's...that was about 2 or 3 years ago. At that time I wasn't really drawn to making my own blog. What was the need for it? Why can't I just write my thoughts in a diary? Why let all the world find out what you feel about this, what you think of this person or what your opinion is of whatever?

Then, I happened to see the blogs of my dear friend's 2 best buddies. I was amazed how well they write. One of them didn't hold back on his feelings...about his work and about his life...you would know that he is a passionate person in the way he writes. The other one hasn't lost the child in him...which is great because he is able to raise his son well (having the child in him). So, in my blog-surfing (I think that's what you call it), I came across this blog of this guy (sorry, I forgot who you are). His entry for that day was about his recent break-up with his girlfriend (of a few years, if I remember right). I got to relate to his post because I just went through a break-up myself (well, a few months ago).

In this blog-surfing, I realized that a blog (at least for me) has several good functions: (1) it is a way of making other people feel that they are not alone in whatever situation they are in (2) like a diary, you can always go back and see what you felt and thought at that time in your life (good or bad) (3)to entertain, in any way, blog-surfers (including friends).

So, last March I created this blog. My initial reason was function #2. I haven't written a diary for quite some time. I, actually, regret that I wasn't able to write down several wonderful thoughts, feelings and events I have had ever since I stopped having a diary. I was thinking of a nice name for my blog. I didn't want to sound cheesy or intellectual...I wanted something in between and I guess topofmyheadandtipofmytongue and tryingtobeERMA is okay...what do you think? This blog started of as a daily thing but eventually I just write when there is an urge to write down something worth writing about. I still go blog-surfing and realized that there are so many blogs out there. Some worth reading and some, well... I don't like blogs that make you feel that the person is not being true to herself/himself. Blogs that seem to try to be the best blog in the world...do you know what I mean? Well, who am I to judge them? It's their blog so why bother be bothered ü. There are also blogs that are very sexual (and there are a lot)...one blog had 100,000++ visitors...wow! And I only have 16 people who viewed my profile (at least 2 of that is me and 2 is my dear friend ü). Of course, it makes you wonder if what's written in this girl's entries really happened. Well, if her entries entertain, who cares, right?

I'm happy about my blog because I get to edit my template and change the font...I get all excited doing that. Of course, it took a while before I finally wrote my name...minnie. And my picture is still the same. Don't I want to be known? To the 16 people (minus 4 ü) who have viewed my profile. Not really. My dear friend is the only one who knows my blog name. I have several friends who know that I have a blog but I haven't told them my blog name...eventually I will. I am also happy that I am able to improve my writing...I think. Although, I still have a lot of ellipses (...). But my dear friend has been telling me that some of my entries (specially "risk aversion or the art of playing safe")were well-written. I have learned how to do the write-post-view & ask my dear friend's opinion-edit-post-view thing ü.

My dear friend once told me that his hesitation in creating a blog is the possibility of writing a good entry and somebody else 'stealing' your entry and naming it his/her own. What if it's really a good essay worth publishing? Well, I know what I have written and if someone 'steals' it, of course, I'll be flattered. But I still believe people are good and chances of 'stealing' from my entries is slim ü. My dear friend writes well so that's a different case ü.

So, let's see, how did I fare in the 3 functions of a blog:
(1) to make people feel that they are not alone - can't really answer this because I only had one comment other than my dear friend's. Well, my dear friend and I share a lot of common situations, nowadays, so I guess when he reads my entries about us, he can relate ü...we're together most of the time so the 'feeling alone' part is not really true for him ü. I do hope someone out there, after reading any of my entries, would feel that he/she is not alone ü.
(2) to be a diary - yes, it is. Right now, there are so many things happening in the different aspects of my life...what I've written down is just about my work and my sort of lovelife and of course, my dear friend...there's so much to write about...my family life and my spiritual life...and my pending 'independence'. As a diary, I can, in a way, see how I have improved in the way I am handling my life.
(3) to entertain - well, so far, my blog has only one person in the audience...my dear friend (he's a permanent audience ü). He seems to be entertained and I am all too glad he is. Is my blog entertaining only one person? I'll be glad if anyone there can prove otherwise ü.

1 comment:

Janie said...

I don't know why I am writing a blog!?? LOL My daughter wanted me to try it. If maybe I can help just one person know Jesus... then it will be worth it all. I must admit that once you have a few friends you get a little addicted... about like eBay! LOL Have a wonderful week, Janie Marie